Tuesday 3 May 2016

Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice


A pride and prejudice review, how original! Hah you’ve been mistaken, this wont be your typical review, rather I shall try and convince you to give the famous Jane Austen a go. It may seem daunting to a few of you who would rather stick to more modern novels, however I can guarantee for most of you at least it will be worth your while.

Most people just think of it as a typical love story. Boy meets girl, heaps of drama and a happy ending, but for those who have endeavoured to read this canon it is so much more.

I was skeptical at first. I thought that it was one of the most over rated books I had ever heard of. I only read it for research reasons; little did I know I would be hooked. Now to be honest, I did find the first chapters to be quite dull. I had heard it all before, parents marrying off their children for hopes of a better or at least pleasant life for them. The moment that I felt inclined to continue reading for pleasure rather than purpose, was when Jane fell ill and stayed over Netherfield*. This reminded me so much of Wuthering Heights (hands down my favourite book ever) and the amazing story which it turned out to be, this gave me a glimmer of hope for what was to come. I soon became #TeamDarcy and everything after passed in a blur I finished the book that night, the ending came with the inevitable feeling of loss one acquires when parting with characters that one invests so much time and emotion into. I wont give anything away; because I don’t want to commit the heinous crime of taking away the adventure and suspense that this book so easily induces. So I wont present a brief summary or try to trick you into reading it by the means of a cliff-hanger, I’ll let you decide for yourselves. If you are skeptics, yet still try to read it I commend you. I am so thankful for the slight similarity between the two books, otherwise I might not have finished it, which would have been disastrous.

We would love to hear your responses on this article. Please answer the following questions and either email us or let us know face to face what you answered. This helps us know what posts you like and we would like to get to know our readers better.

Have you read Pride and Prejudice?
If yes, what was your favourite part?
If yes, #TeamDarcy? Why?
If no, would you consider reading it after this article?

- Zinnia and Gwendoline 
 


*Jane is the eldest daughter among five siblings. Netherfield is a small town in which Mr.Bingle lives. Mr.Bingle is a handsome gentleman. 

Austenland Quote [gif].  Retrieved from https://gowatchthisnow.wordpress.com/2015/01/17/austenland/


No comments:

Post a Comment